Wednesday, June 16, 2010

how NOT to get rid of poison ivy plants

poison ivy can be a prolific pain in the garden, but manageable, with a little forethought. i wear long pants with socks and a long sleeve shirt while pulling out the early spring runners through a plastic bag that covers my rubber gloved hands...i drop the pulled weed into a large bag draped over a bucket for easy portability and disposal. hairy vines get snipped as close to their base as possible and i let the foliage die back on its own. i also leave some poison ivy vines alone -the ones that are climbing close to my yard, but not in it- because poison ivy provides amazing autumnal colors to the landscape. easy enough, right? well, not according to yesterday's featured wikihow post on how to get rid of poison ivy. the article/advertisement was about the supposed correct way to use round-up and other like endocrine disrupter herbicides. round-up may be effective on killing the innocuous ivy, but it also kills other plants, seeps into the ground water, does not dissipate as described, possibly is killing honey bees, and if it doesnt kill you, it will kill your children and/or please dont use it. despite the heavy marketing of this poison and round-up-ready-seed (available only commercially now, but you may end up eating the product), and claims to the contrary, round-up is evil and should not be used, sold or purchased. if you need to really be convinced, watch the pbs documentary poisoned waters: it (sadly) lays it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment